Cynthia Lui MP
Member for Cook
A new all - tide $3.2m boat ramp for the Newell Beach community is projected to be completed by mid - next year.
Member for Cook Cynthia Lui said the planning process was well underway with the project expected to go out to tender next month.
'On 18 March 2021, Marine Safety Queensland (MSQ) emailed stakeholders with a design proposal. This was followed by a second community meeting on 29 April where stakeholders discussed the revised design and put in a request for a floating fishing platform.'
MSQ’s design consultant is currently putting together a concept design which will be provided to stakeholders for feedback. After the design and environmental approvals are finalised, the project will be put out for tender in July.
Following awarding of the contract, further community consultation will take place to discuss the construction phase. Community feedback will be taken into account when planning this phase of the project.
MSQ will provide ongoing stakeholder updates on the progress of the project.
- Concept design sent to stakeholders - June 2021
- Feedback deadline - July 2021
- Environmental approvals - late June 2021
- Tender issued - mid-July 2021 (pending approvals)
- Contract evaluated and awarded - August-September 2021
- Community meeting - construction - September-October 2021
- Onsite works commence late-2021, weather dependent
- Work completed mid-2022, weather dependent
If you have a question about the project or would like to submit feedback please email
Media Contact – Cook Electorate Office – 4223 1100